Hydrogen is expected to have an important role in decarbonising several parts of the UK energy system. This white paper examines the opportunities for hydrogen and fuel cell technologies (H2FC) to contribute to clean growth in the UK.
We assess the strength of the sector by surveying 196 companies working in the area and using other key metrics (for example, publication citations, and patents). There is already a nascent fuel cell industry working at the cutting edge of global innovation. The UK has an opportunity to grow this industry and to develop an export-focused hydrogen industry over the next few decades. However, this will require public nurturing and support. We make a series of recommendations that include:
- Creating separate national fuel cell and hydrogen strategies. These should take UK energy needs, capabilities, and export opportunities into account. There is a need to coordinate public R&D support and to manage the consequences if European funding and collaboration opportunities become unavailable due to Brexit.
- Creating a public–private “Hydrogen Partnership” to accelerate a shift to hydrogen energy systems in the UK and to stimulate opportunities for businesses.
- Putting in place infrastructure to underpin nascent fuel cell and hydrogen markets, including a national refuelling station network and a green hydrogen standard scheme.
- Study what would constitute critical mass in the hydrogen and fuel cell sectors, in terms of industry and academic capacity, and the skills and knowledge base, and consider how critical mass could be achieved most efficiently.
- Consider creating a “Hydrogen Institute” and an “Electrochemical Centre” to coordinate and underpin national innovation over the next decade.
We would really appreciate it if you could complete some basic information to help us understand the Paper’s reach and readership. To understand the impact of our white papers, we may contact you once to ask you 3-4 questions about the white paper.
Please review the report summary here.
If you do not wish to provide this information, you can skip the process.
By completing this form, you are giving us authorisation to store your data securely within our CMS. We use the details you provide us with to send you the most relevant information and will not share your details with anyone. View our Privacy Notice: H2fC Supergen Privacy Notice.
Don’t miss a beat of H2FC Supergen News with our monthly e-newsletter.